- (1 Package) 1/4 Chicken
- (1 Chopped) Large Onion
- (4, sliced) Carrots
- (Drizzle) Olive Oil
- (Juice from 1/2 lemon) Lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- (to taste) Thyme (for stock)
- (3 stalks, cut in thirds) Celery (for stock)
- (1 chopped) Large Onion (for stock)
- Water (for stock)
1.Put your Onions and Carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker
2. Place your chicken quarters on top of the vegetables
3. Drizzle the quarters with olive oil and lemon juice
4. Generously salt & pepper the chicken
5. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or high 3-4
6. The chicken will be falling off the bones when it's done. If you are going to eat it, enjoy! If you are going to shred the chicken move on to step 7.
7. Let the chicken cool so you don't burn your fingers (we learned that one from experience). Pull all the chicken off the bones and put into a mixer bowl or big bowl. Put all the bones and skin back in the slow cooker. Turn the mixer on medium speed and let it shred it for you! Alternatively you can shred the chicken with your hands.
FOR THE STOCK:
Leave all the carrots, onions, etc. in the slow cooker and make sure all the bones and skin are put back in the crock pot.
2. Put the remaining onion, celery and a healthy amount of thyme (approx. 2 Tbs) in the slow cooker.
3. Put enough water in the cooker to cover all the ingredients.
3. Cook on low overnight (can be up to a full 24 hours).
4. Strain the bones and veggies and place in containers for freezing or use. Make sure to label the amount of cups in each container for easy access later.