Preparing the heart:
- Thaw and remove outer membrane if still intact and the heart string (chordae tendineae).
- Once thawed, cut heart into 1/2" strips and place on cookie sheet or plate
- Cover liberally with coarse kosher salt and allow to sit for 2 hours
Once done, rinse the heart strips with cool water to get excess salt off.
- Set aside on clean plate with a paper towel layer to soak up extra moisture.
Preparing to fry:
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a fry pan.
- Pat each strip of heart dry before plopping it into the flour mix. Flip several times until entirely coated.
- Transfer flour-covered heart strips to the fry pan.
- Fry on both sides for 2-3 minutes.
- Once done, remove strips from butter to another paper-towel covered plate to drain and cool.
- Repeat steps 3 - 6 until all heart strips are gone.
Best served with Au Gratin Potatoes and butter biscuits.