- (2 Cups) King Arthur Gluten Free Flour Blend
- (3 Tbsp) Raw Cane Sugar
- (1/2 tsp) Salt
- (1 cup) Cold Butter
- (1/4 Cup) Prairie Organic Vodka
- (1 Egg) Dozen Large Eggs
- (1 Tbsp) Apple Cider Vinegar
This will make enough for one deep dish pie crust, OR one traditional pie.
(If you do not have King Arthur's Gluten-Free Measure-for-Measure flour, see the conversions below... If you have normal flour, just replace the flour amount for regular flour...)
- Measure out 2 cups (or 9 ounces) of King Arthur's Measure-for-Measure Gluten Free flour into a bowl, then add sugar & salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add 1 cup COLD butter to flour then use pastry cutter to combine. Continue pulverizing until butter chunks in flour are pea-sized-ish
- Add Vodka ( OR 1/4 c milk), egg, and apple cider vinegar. Use pastry cutter to blend in.
- Sprinkle extra flour rolling surface, then roll out on pastry board with flour covered rolling pin. Roll to 3/8" thickness-ish
- Roll up the pie crust onto your pin then unroll over desired dish.
- Shape crust into pie tin then decorate edge as desired.
For a fruit pie, poke holes in the bottom prior to adding filling.
For a cream filling, pre-bake the pie crust for 15 minutes at 375 degrees F.
For a shiny finish, whisk up a whole egg and brush onto crust. You can also use milk, our buttermilk to achieve the same effect.
Pro-tips from a celiac:
- If you opt for vodka, use Prairie Organic Vodka because they use superior MN products to distill their spirits, it's flavor is PHENOMENAL and it's guaranteed Gluten-free! (Fun Fact: They distill their products right here in Princeton, MN. We even know some of their craftsmen!)
- If the pie crust starts sticking to your pin, or its warm in your kitchen, chill the crust for 15 min in the freezer to stiffen the mixture.
- Make sure you do NOT leave out the vinegar. This helps break down the flour and build structure. If you leave it out the crust will not be able to achieve that flake that you're looking for and makes the pastry more grainey.
Flour conversions: 2 cups King Arthur Measure for measure = 2 cups regular flour = 1 3/4-ish cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1.