Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 8 Hours
Servings: 6 adults
- Cut the Pork Shoulder Roast OR Fresh Ham Roast into 4-6 chunks, and arrange on the bottom of the slow cooker
- Add all the spices and mix thoroughly
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours OR on low for 6-8 hours.
- When tender, shred the meat like you would pulled pork.
- Place Pork Carnitas in serving bowl and add back some (or all!) of the juices to retain moisture and get all that good fat!
- Mix in fresh chopped cilantro and serve in tacos, burritos, burrito bowls, nachos... or whatever you're feelin'!
Notes from Liese:
I really love spicier food so I like to add red pepper flakes, and up the chili powder and cumin to almost double what is reflected. I also add back all the drippings to retain moisture and get every last ounce of nutrition from the roast proper.
Many recipes will hate on the Fresh Ham Roast for this recipe, citing the lack of marbling in the ham area of the "typical" hog - but if you're reading this you probably already know that Walker Farms Pastured Pork has no problem in this department. Raised on pasture from farrow to finish and born of a Berkshire line, our happy hams are perfectly marbled, bursting with flavor, and the poster child for nutrient dense local food.
FAQ: Can I make this recipe in a pressure cooker?
Absolutely - just add a cup of broth into the mix and set the time to 40 minutes for fall-off-the-bone tenderness.
FAQ: What can I make with it after the first night?
Day 1: Pork Carnitas with cilantro lime rice and spiced black beans. <<< You are probably here
Day 2: breakfast burritos
Day 3: Pork and white bean soup
Day 4: If there is any left... or you need to reconstitute frozen Carnita Meat, make a homemade Nacho Platter (Stack nacho chips, Carnita Meat, black beans and cheese on a cookie sheet, bake at 350 til melty and good. Cover with lettuce and veggies of choice with salsa, sour cream and guac - enjoy!)
OR Pre-make a boatload of pre-stuffed burritos, wrap those babies in freezer paper and save some for later.Kitchen hack: If you use freezer paper instead of aluminum you can microwave it -Your tummy (& hunny) will thank you later!
✌ Liese , your friendly local farmer.