I love the flavors of Caprese - mozzarella, tomato, basil + balsamic. I saw a version of this recipe and had to try it. I'll be honest, I almost didn't post it because the color of the quinoa with sauce isn't very appetizing looking.... but it IS SO GOOD!!! If you can ignore the color of the quinoa and like caprese flavors, give this one a go! It's very filling due to the quinoa and one pan of this lasted us 3+ meals! I did not try freezing this one, but the original recipe says to freeze before the basil.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: 8 adults
- (3 cups shredded or diced) 1/4 Chicken
- (1 cup uncooked) Quinoa
- (2 cups) Chicken Broth (or water)
- (2 cups) Crushed tomatoes
- (2 Tbsp) Tomato Paste
- (1 Tbsp) Balsamic vinegar
- (1/4 cup) Half and Half or milk
- (1/4 tsp) Crushed Red Pepper (optional)
- (1/4 cup) Parmesan cheese
- (1 fresh 8oz ball. You can also used 1 cup shredded) Mozzarella Cheese
- (1 cup halved) Grape/Cherry Tomatoes
- (chopped) Fresh Basil
- (1/2 Cup) Balsamic Vinegar (for glaze)
- (1 Tbsp) Honey (for glaze)
- Salt & Pepper
- Make Quinoa, rinse and soak in warm water while 2 cups of chicken broth come to a boil in a small saucepan. Add to boiling broth. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 12-15 minutes until water has been mostly absorbed.
- For sauce, combine crushed tomatoes, paste and 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar to a simmer. Add half & half, red pepper and salt and pepper. Cook until heated through.
- In a large bowl mix together chicken, quinoa, parmesan cheese and 1/4 of the the mozzarella cheese. Add sauce and mix well.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 baking dish and top with the rest of the sliced mozzarella and tomatoes.
- Bake at 375* for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- OPTIONAL- while the casserole is baking, make the balsamic glaze.
- Bring 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar to a simmer, then stir in 1 Tbsp honey. After simmering, turn it down to medium low and stir occasionally until sauce has thickened, about 7-10 minutes. It will stick to the back of a spoon when it's done. This sauce will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to a month.
- After it's done cooking, top your serving with basil, drizzle with the glaze and enjoy!
There are no comments for this article. Be the first one to leave a message!