Preparing fried venison heart was a tradition at deer camp in Anneliese's family. When a deer was harvested, we'd collect the heart if it was still intact and bring it home to share. You can now prepare this delicious meal for your family, without having to tromp through the woods to collect your groceries!
Preparing the heart:
- Thaw and remove outer membrane if still intact and the heart string (chordae tendineae).
- Once thawed, cut heart into 1/2" strips and place on cookie sheet or plate
- Cover liberally with coarse kosher salt and allow to sit for 2 hours
Once done, rinse the heart strips with cool water to get excess salt off.
- Set aside on clean plate with a paper towel layer to soak up extra moisture.
Preparing to fry:
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a fry pan.
- Pat each strip of heart dry before plopping it into the flour mix. Flip several times until entirely coated.
- Transfer flour-covered heart strips to the fry pan.
- Fry on both sides for 2-3 minutes.
- Once done, remove strips from butter to another paper-towel covered plate to drain and cool.
- Repeat steps 3 - 6 until all heart strips are gone.
Best served with Au Gratin Potatoes and butter biscuits.