I love meals that make enough to freeze for later. This makes either 3 - 8x8 pans or 1 16x9 and 1 8x8 pan. Each 8x8 pan feeds about 3. As a family of 2 + a picky toddler an 8x8 pan was perfect with a little leftover for lunch. Plus, there's two more in the freezer for later! As a bonus, this is gluten free. Side note- Each 1/4 chicken package makes approximately 6-8 cups of chicken.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Servings: 6 adults
- (5 cups shredded) 1/4 Chicken
- (5 Tbsp) Butter
- (6 cups cooked (approx. 2.5 dry)) Brown or white rice
- (1 container or 2 cups) Sliced mushrooms
- (2 tsp) Garlic
- (1.5 cups) Milk
- (16 oz / 4 cups) Shredded cheddar cheese
- (3 small / 2 med heads chopped) Fresh broccoli
- (to taste) Pepper
- (to taste) Salt
- (1 tsp) Garlic powder
- Precook the rice and precook the chicken if not already shredded.
- Spray three 8x8 pans that are freezer and oven safe. I like using 8x8 foil pans for the freezer, and a glass pan to make now.
- In a large stockpot melt the butter. After melted, add cooked rice, mushrooms, garlic, milk and half of the cheese. Cook on medium until the cheese is melted.
- Add the broccoli, chicken, salt, pepper and garlic powder and cook for about 5 minutes until the broccoli starts to soften.
- Divide mixture evenly into the baking pans. Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the pans. Cover pans for the freezer with foil and make sure to label what it is!
- To cook fresh - cook at 350* for 30 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- To cook from frozen - thaw overnight and cook at 350* for 30 minutes until broccoli is tender and liquid is bubbly or if cooking from frozen it will take about 60-90 minutes depending on your pan size