This has quickly become a household favorite. While we originally started making this recipe with Chicken Tikka Masala, we will often make it ahead to have as a quick snack on the go, or to have for breakfast with honey or stuffed with scrambled eggs. It's truly a versatile recipe!
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Servings: 6-8 adults
- (2 cups + sprinkling) Bob Red Mill's Gluten Free 1-to-1
- (1/2 tsp) Salt
- (1/4 tsp) Cream of Tartar
- (4 1/2 tsp) pure cane sugar
- (2 1/4 tsp) Instant yeast
- (1/3 cup) regular whole milk yogurt (not greek)
- (3 tbsp) butter or Ghee, melted and cooled
- (1) Dozen Large Eggs
- (3/4 c) warm water (95 degrees. Can also use milk)
- coconut oil for frying
This recipe is adapted from Gluten Free on a Shoestring.
- In a small mixing bowl place flour, salt, cream of tartar, sugar and yeast. Whisk then set aside.
- In large mixer, whisk together regular yogurt, butter, egg plus egg white, and warm water (or milk; roughly 95 degrees or a little warmer).
- Switch mixer to paddle attachment, then slowly add dry mix until, combined.
- Turn mixer up to medium and stir for 3 minutes. The dough will slowly come together but will not make a ball on its own. DON'T PANIC it will be wetter than regular gluten-y Na'an Bread recipes.
- Turn off the mixer and scrape dough off the sides of the bowl and gently press into a bowl. Place dough in a greased bucket with a lid or a bowl with a lid that can be covered tightly. Allow to rise in a warm and draft free place (ie near your stovetop) until your dough has almost doubled (45 min or so).
- Once the dough has finished rising, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface (GF!) and divide into 6-8 pieces.
- While you're shaping the dough, heat about 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Roll out one portion to about 3/8 inches thick. Place the first piece of shaped dough in the heated skillet and fry until large blisters begin to form. Flip and fry the other side until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and place on plate lined with paper towel. Put in oven to keep warm.
- Repeat steps 7-8 until you have no dough remaining.
Enjoy with Chicken Tikka Masala!