I was trying to come up with things for the freezer that I could have for easy lunches, and found homemade hot pockets. Freezer to plate in 90 seconds! I don't know how long they are going to last in the freezer, I keep eating them! They are so much tastier and heartier than the pre-made ones. I did two variations, this recipe is for an Italian Sausage & Peppers pocket, and I also did a pizza version with Italian sausage and pepperoni, cheese, and sauce. Just make sure you cook the sausage first! I even found an easy pizza crust recipe
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
Servings: 8 large pockets
- (1 LB) Italian Sausage
- (2, sliced) Green, Red, Orange or Yellow Peppers
- (1 , sliced) Onion
- (2 Cloves, minced) Garlic
- (1/2 C) Tomato Sauce
- (12oz shredded) Mozzarella
- Salt and Pepper
- (4 Cups) Flour
- (1.5 TBS) Yeast
- (3 TBS) Olive Oil
- (1.5 Cups) Warm Water
To make the crust-
- Add flour, 1.5 tsp salt, and yeast to a food processor. Pulse until well mixed
- Pulse in olive oil
- Keep machine running and pour in WARM water. Let it run until the dough pulls away from the edges.
- Put dough in a greased bowl and cover, rise until doubled in size. Approximately 1-2 hours
To make the filling-
- Cook sausage in a large skillet until brown. Break it up into small balls as it cooks (approximately the size you would use on a pizza).
- Add sliced peppers, onions and garlic and cook until veggies cook down, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and 1/4 cup water if it's dry. Season with salt and pepper
To make Calzones
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Divide dough into approx. 8 pieces
- Roll out one piece at a time into a circle. Add cheese, sausage filling and more cheese
- Brush the edges with an egg wash and fold it over, crimp edges.
- Brush the top with egg wash, cut a few slits and transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cook hot pockets/calzones for 35 minutes until golden brown.
To freeze, let cool. Wrap individually with plastic wrap and put them in either foil or a ziploc freezer bag. To cook, take one out and unwrap it, place it in a paper towel and cook for 90 seconds in the microwave. Enjoy!
There are no comments for this article. Be the first one to leave a message!