Sweet, sassy, a little bad-assy - this recipe is delicious with dark chicken cuts like legs, thighs, and 1/4's. Grill it outside, or bake it in the oven, either way this recipe is a quick and easy departure to island bliss.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 8 Hours
Servings: 6 adults
- Chicken Legs
- (2 tbsp) Olive Oil
- (1 Tbsp) Soy Sauce or Tamari (GF)
- (2 Tbsp) Lime Juice (equal to 1 fresh squeezed lime)
- (1) Onion (Coarsely Chopped)
- (1 Tbsp) Fresh Ginger - Chopped fine (OR 1 tsp dried ginger powder)
- (6 Cloves) Garlic - Minced
- (2 tsp) Salt
- (2 tsp) Black Pepper
- (1-1/2 Tbsp) Brown Sugar
- (1/2 tsp) Cinnamon Powder
- (1/2 tsp) Allspice Powder
- (1/2 tsp) Nutmeg Powder
- (1/2 tsp) Dried Thyme
- (Pinch) Red pepper flakes if you like a kick!
- (1 Tbsp) Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar (Optional)
- Thaw chicken legs or bone-in chicken thighs, and pat dry
- Mix together all the ingredients in a plastic ziplock, shake it up, add the chicken and let it rest for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the bag and reserve the marinade.
- Bake at 350 degrees F in the oven for 25 minutes OR grill for 12-15 minutes on medium low heat.
- Baste with reserved marinade, and flip and baste half way through the cooking time.
- Cook to a safe internal temperature.
Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with a bed of cilantro lime rice, and black beans.